2017 Outreach Team Crew Leader
Position Title: Crew Leader
Position Type: Seasonal, part-time
Position Dates: July 5, 2017- October 20, 2017
Schedule: 15-30 hour weeks, will consist of evenings and weekends
Reports To: Program Coordinator: Outreach & Education
Mile High Youth Corps is a regional, non-profit, AmeriCorps (www.americorps.gov) affiliated organization that engages youth in jobs that help the planet and provide pathways to a promising future. Corpsmembers work on conservation and environmental stewardship projects throughout the Denver Metro Area while engaging in meaningful education activities.
Mile High Youth Corps Crew Leader positions require individuals who are skilled problem-solvers, experienced leaders and positive role models. The Outreach Team will be comprised of eight Corpsmembers (17-24 years old) serving together as part of the GoWild Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) Inspire Initiative. The GoWild Coalition encompasses the Northeast Metro communities of Commence City, Northwest Aurora, Northeast Park Hill, and Montbello. The Outreach Team will provide targeted outreach, community engagement, and support for GoWild projects such as local family and youth outdoor recreation experiences, field trips, and career exploration initiatives.
Crew Leader Duties and Responsibilities:
Supervision and Management
• Provides daily supervision of the members of the crew, including assigning, leading and instructing project tasks.
• Monitors, manages, and promote crew’s physical and emotional safety on and off project sites.
• Enforces the code of conduct, discipline policies and program procedures outlined in the employee handbooks at all times.
• Provides consistent, ongoing informal feedback, as well as performs a minimum of one formal evaluation per Corpsmember each season.
• Acts as a positive role model to all Corpsmembers and promotes a positive corps culture.
Work Project Implementation
• Oversees and implements community action research, community outreach and engagement, service learning and community service projects for the team.
• Distributes projects among Corpsmembers and maintains even work flow.
• Ensures timely, accurate and quality completion of projects.
• Assists MHYC staff with the set-up of projects including the estimation of time and materials needed for the projects.
• Proactively assesses, identifies and mitigates safety related hazards.
• Trains Corpsmembers in and maintains a safe work environment.
• Serves as a liaison and on-site contact with project partners.
Corpsmember Development and Education
• Promotes individual learning, leadership and personal growth among Corpsmembers.
• Plans and facilitates field trips, community meetings and team-building activities.
• Ensures consistent leadership development and service learning opportunities are integrated into trainings.
• Implements and monitors Corpsmember’s participation and progress in life skills and career readiness training programs.
• Monitors, documents, and evaluates the participant progress in the program using individual written daily accountability, evaluations, case notes, and 1:1 meetings.
• Maintains complete and accurate records for each project.
• Ensures project photographs and required data are collected for projects.
• Other duties as assigned.
• High School diploma or GED required. At least two years of college or vocational training is preferred. Significant professional experience may be substituted for post-secondary education.
• At least one year experience of working with a diverse population of youth and staff in a team atmosphere is preferred.
• Previous experience in community outreach and engagement and working with Youth Corps is highly preferred.
• Communication Skills: ability to coordinate projects across multiple community partners, motivate and discipline others, organize and direct a crew of young people on service projects, communicate effectively with a diverse group of young people, co-workers and supervisors and explain and demonstrate safe practices.
• Must have ability to complete tasks in a detailed and timely manner, work independently, keep accurate records, prepare reports and perform case management and evaluations.
• Must be able to lift 75 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in the sun, hike 3 miles with a day-pack.
• Must have valid driver’s license with insurable driving record and ability to drive a 12-passenger van to and from work sites.
• Pre-employment background check will be required, which includes FBI fingerprinting.
• Pre-employment drug screen required. Drug testing may be required during employment.
• Must be able to legally work in the United States, which will be verified via the federal E-Verify program.
Email: Send resume and cover letter to Kyle Kline at firstname.lastname@example.org
(include position title in subject line
Mile High Youth Corps is an Equal Opportunity Employer