Position Title: Corpsmember
Position Type: Seasonal, Fulltime, 40 hrs./week
Mile High Youth Corps is a regional, non-profit, AmeriCorps (www.americorps.gov) affiliated organization that engages youth in service opportunities that help the planet and provide pathways to a promising future. Corpsmembers serve on projects throughout Northeast Metro Denver that engage youth in the outdoors, promote conservation and environmental stewardship, and participate in education activities.
The GoWild Team will be comprised of six-eight Corpsmembers (18-24 years old) serving together as part of the GoWild Great Outdoors Colorado (GOCO) Generation Wild Initiative, which aims to connect youth and families to the outdoors. The GoWild Coalition encompasses the Northeast Metro Denver communities of Commerce City, Northwest Aurora, Northeast Park Hill, and Montbello. The GoWild Team will provide targeted outreach, community engagement, direct service, and support for GoWild projects to cultivate environmental stewardship.
• Biweekly Stipend: Earn a living stipend of $800.00 per bi-weekly pay period
• AmeriCorps Education Award: Earn a scholarship of $1,230.69 upon successful completion of the term (300 hours of service). This award can be used to pay tuition or pay back qualifying student loans. Individuals have 7 years to use the award
• May 29, 2018 – August 11, 2018
• Starting the week of June 4, the 40-hour work-week will be Tuesday thru Saturday
• In the Community: Plan, conduct outreach, and support activities to engage the community in outdoor activities.
• On Land Conservation: Complete conservation projects on public lands through the Denver metro area. Projects may include public land improvements and trail construction and maintenance.
• Mile High Youth Corps: Participate in AmeriCorps National Days of Service and All Corps Service Projects.
• Education: Lessons focused on environmental stewardship, leadership, civic engagement, college and career prep and other trainings that will prepare for life after MHYC.
• Student Loan Forbearance: Possible through the National Service Trust on qualifying federal government student loans.
• Health Insurance: May be eligible for health insurance the 1st of the month after serving with MHYC for sixty days. Member share of health insurance premium is $80 per month.
• Must be between the ages of 18-24 and eligible for employment in the United States.
• Must be eligible for enrollment in AmeriCorps as a US Citizen, National or Lawful Permanent Resident. Must bring identification documents necessary to complete the I-9 and other forms on your first day. Examples of such documents are a passport or a driver’s license and birth certificate or other equivalent documents.
• Residents of Commence City, Northwest Aurora, Northeast Park Hill, or Montbello are strongly encouraged to apply.
• High school or GED graduate or actively pursuing.
• Must be physically fit, able to lift 75 lbs., spend 8-10 hours a day in all weather conditions (e.g., sun, heat, wind, rain, etc.) and hike 3 miles with a day-pack.
• Able to be on time and maintain attendance throughout term of service, available for a minimum of 300 hours of service
• Diligently follow Leave No Trace ethics.
• Must commit to complete the program and participate fully in service projects and educational activities.
• Experience or strong desire to learn the skills needed for effective community outreach and engagement.
• Must be willing to show a strong effort, actively participate as part of a team and be dedicated to the Youth Corps philosophy.
• This position has recurring access to vulnerable populations and therefore must complete a pre-service National Criminal History Check, which includes fingerprinting.
• Pre-service drug screen required.
• Member must not engage in any prohibited activities as listed in the AmeriCorps Member Service Agreement and appropriately represent Mile High Youth Corps both in behavior and dress code.
• Fully comply with agency policies and procedures regarding high quality service, tool management, paperwork completion and data accuracy.
• Visit our website at www.milehighyouthcorps.org and click “Apply Now”. Or visit us in person at our headquarters 1801 Federal Blvd, Denver, CO 80204.
• Questions? Please email firstname.lastname@example.org
or call 303-433-1206 ext. 221
Mile High Youth Corps is committed to diversity in principle and practice, both in the community at large and within the organization. We are, therefore, committed to having our internal operations and employment practices administered on a non-discriminating basis inclusive of, but not limited to, race, religion, color, socio-economic status, gender, age, sexual orientation, military or veteran status, physical or mental disability, marital status, or national origin.
Click here to apply
Please mention that you saw the job on Cleantech.Org